Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Paul's Counsel for Members.


Attributes that Paul counseled members to improve:
    Increase and abound in love one to another and all men
    Follow the teachings and examples of the missionaries/leaders
    Abstain from fornication and possess your body in sanctification and honor
    Don't defraud thy brother in any way (don't take advantage of anyone)
    Don't despise others
    Love one another (again)
    Be hardworking and honest
    Watch and be sober
    Put on armor of God- faith, love, hope of salvation
   *Comfort yourselves together and edify one another (footnote: exhort, console, encourage)
    Look after those which labour among you and are over you, esteem them highly and be at peace (respect    and love your leaders)
    *Warn the unruly, comfort the feeble-minded, support the weak, be patient toward all men
    See that none render evil for evil (an eye for an eye)
    Rejoice evermore (Have Joy!)
    Pray without ceasing- have a prayer in your heart
    Give thanks in everything
    Quench not the spirit (are there things I am doing that chase the spirit away?)
    Despise not prophesyings
    *Prove all things (examine them, put to the test)
    Abstain from all appearance of evil.
    Pray for missionaries to be protected and that the gospel can spread rapidly
    Be directed into the Love of God (again love)
    Withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly
    Again, work hard (don't be a busybody)

*Three attributes that I want to work on and improve in my life are:
   -Comfort yourselves together and edify one another. When I was reading this, I looked in the footnote and it said to exhort, console, and encourage one another. I think I could do better at this especially with my wife. When she is in need of comfort or help, I often tend to just try to fix the problem or I don't see it as a big deal. I am going to work hard on taking the time to sit down and really listen to her and console her, encourage her when she is down and exhort when needed. I think that we will both feel edified if we put faith in one another and lend a listening ear and words of encouragement to one another.
  -Be patient toward all men. I am a very logical, solution-minded person. Sometimes I have a hard time being patient with those I feel are thinking irrationally, who may struggle with mental illnesses, or just seem very different. In order to be patient with all men, I will try to consciously remind myself that they are children of God and try to see them as such. I think if I can begin to see them as Heavenly Father sees them, I will be more patient with them. I know my Heavenly Father is patient with me.
 -Prove all things. I would like to spend more time proving and testing what I am taught. I will plan to study things out more, and put them to the test. For example: to gain a better testimony of fasting, I will fast each fast Sunday with a specific purpose.

   
 

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to have found this. I have a new assignment to be a RS teacher. I just may use your line about seeing others as children of God, therefore trying to be more patient and see them as God see's them.

    ReplyDelete