Wednesday, March 12, 2014

First Corinthians 10-11, The Sacrament

Readings: 1 Corinthians 10:16-21; 11:20-29.  3 Nephi 18:6-11,28-29.
Read Luke 22:19 and identify the important word  Luke used in describing the sacrament that Nephi also used but Paul did not.
   The important word that Luke and Nephi used in describing the sacrament that Nephi also used but Paul did not is the word "given". They say how the sacrament is broken and given. I think this is cool because the sacrament really has been given to us. It is a gift from Christ.
  The difference between 3 Nephi and 1 Corinthians regarding counsel about when to not partake of the sacrament is that in 3 Nephi we are told to not let others partake of the sacrament if we know they aren't worthy, whereas in 1 Corinthians it says let each man look at himself and decide if he is worthy. 3 Nephi is asking us to help share one anothers burdens in making tough decisions.
I don't think this means that we need to or should be passing judgment on everyone in the congregation, but if there are things we know about, we need to help people decide if they are doing the right thing by partaking of the sacrament.
 Partaking of the sacrament unworthily, according to Paul, makes us "guilty of the blood and body of the Lord". To me this means it is as if we are the ones who drove the spikes into Chirst's hands, beat him, tortured him, mocked him, and hung him on the cross. If we partake of the symbol of his blood and body unworthily, it is as if we are remembering the death we caused, and not the liberations that the atonement bring us when we partake worthily.
 In order to make sacrament a more meaningful experience in my life both on Sundays and during the week I can spend time on my knees before sacrament truly repenting of my sins so when I partake of the sacrament I will know that I am clean and that the ordinance is really working in my life. I can also spend time during the week thinking about the atonement and repenting daily. While I am partaking the sacrament I can think about Christ administering the sacrament as well as when he died for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment